Sunday, October 02, 2005

Mahatma and Me'

After reading the newspaper, I only realized that today is October 2, “Bapu’s B’day”…..there was a long article in TOI, on how the Gen Nxt (I hope that includes me too) have forgotten his values and how he has been ridiculed for his sayings, which they think do not apply in contemporary times.
As I am writing this I also remember the question that I answered in JNU entrance exam about Bapu’s policies and their relevance in today’s globalized world. (I failed in that exam)

Two years ago for me M.K. Gandhi was just a political leader, raised as an apostle because of a party that ruled our independent India, I rated him below Bose because I could more relate to extremism than ahimsa.
As I read a few books on the independence struggle of India, of both Nationalist and Marxist views, one thing I realized, that for me... "M.K.Gandhi slowly turned to Bapu". I found out that Gandhi was indeed the essence of India and his place as the “Father of the Nation” is unquestionable.

He was the one who tied this country in one string and voiced the language of the masses, with whom our early leaders and even today the present leaders, fail to connect. A glimpse of his greatness was seen when J.L. Nehru was making his famous “Tryst with Destiny” speech in the secure environs of Delhi…..Bapu was in a small village around Calcutta trying to stop the riots just by his mere presence’

Whatever historians, journo and philosophers or so called Gandhians say, “Bapu” for each one of us is different..... for me Gandhi was politically apolitical, he was too religious and yet a non-believer, he was a fakir among elites and a saint among poor. He was and is the true India..my India.

On his B’day, I would just like to request that please buy a coy of “My Experiments with Truth” and read it…you will discover “Bapu” and like me you would hate to love him…because on what he did is so right yet so tough, to be said right….as he himself said “I emerged out successful to be unsuccessful….”


Back to my “Experiments with T…lol….

I don’t know what’s going on
The air has been dead for so long,
Sometimes you react and sometimes you are cool
And everytime I end like a fool,

When I say something
You dismay it like a vice,
And when I am not serious
Why you suddenly act so wise?

When I open my heart
You close all your doors,
And when I turn back
You say “I am professionally yours”,

I know I am not the best out there
But believe me; even I have flair,
Just say, you know what I mean
Or I am just living in a dream,

Even I know what’s going to be the end
But till than please take a stand,
This mystery kills me every night
And when we depart, you say “sleep tight!”

I don’t know what’s going on
The air has been dead for so long…..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now i've started loving ur posts!!

Why dont u just experiment with "laila-majnu" stuff instead of "devdas style" .. i mean something romantic ;)

smiles n cares,
Nishu

D said...

Thx a million! well.."Broken hearts make no mistake....."