Monday, October 17, 2005

"Deewane Ho?"

Amusingly after writing about Nizzamuddin Auliya, yesterday I went to that place, not exactly the mazar, but to Karim’s, actually Z came and said that since it was Ramzan time, he would not eat non-veg from anywhere, so we decided that safest bet for him would be to go to either Old Delhi or Nizzamuddin and since the later was close by, we went there. As far as I am concerned for me its ok whatever it is, until I do not seriously ponder over it, I mean what’s the difference; after all we are eating flesh!

Now after reaching there, this was the first time I felt that YES, there is a difference between Us and Them, though Z and Me have been friends for over 5 years now and he has no problem with consuming alcohol and never he takes my satirical remarks to his heart and even before him, I had many friends among Them, who were and still are more closer than with friends among Us.

Now here all people were wearing Ramzani caps and have flourishing beards with them, for a moment I felt that I am in by lanes of Karachi….some of them even speaking different languages and looking more like Afghans! And I do not know why but I was feeling a bit out of place as if this was not my country…I was a bit scared (or perhaps I am over thinking on it) but with Z around I knew I was more safe than in heaven.

Another thing I found out and wondered over that when Urdu is spoken in the same way, why it has sweetness in Lucknow and in Delhi it gets the local rustic touch, which considerably lessen down its charm! Still the waiters of Karim’s were quite proficient and soft-spoken, environ was exuberant and the food delectable. Later as when I came out, I saw a male goat tied, I asked Z, Bakr-id is still far, than why is he tied from now and Z smiled and said – “ Mad****d, what you just ate, was what?” and than I did not dared to look into that animal eyes……


Well after having dinner, as we were looking with shops all filled with delicacies, books and ramzani topis, than we ate pan and were discussing the cuisine difference between Awadhi and Mughlai.

As we moved I saw this wonderful shop in a narrow lane, filled with all types of Ramzani caps….and as Z was searching the best for me from there…..for a miniscule second, I got lost in the thoughts of ‘T’…wondering how will it be to come with her here, where all women are in black Burqas, green bangles and paan-redden lips…..I didn’t realized that a car is honking behind me so as to get inside that lane, until Z pulled me…..the Zen stopped and the next to drivers seat glass rolled down….I was prepared to be abused…when a nearly 60-70 year old lady moved her head out , spitted paan on the nearby dustbin and said entertainingly “Beta, Deewane Ho?" and than there were, female voices, laughing, from inside the car….I just smiled wryly and managed to say Sorry…..and as car snailed in that lane, I heard air whispering in my air “Yes, No….maybe……….

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Well when u talk of the khususiat in the urdu of lucknow and the alhadpana of dill's urdu, one can only say it's like comparing rose water to plain water.Both are beautiful in their own ways, one may say class may not exist without the masses!!amazing imagery in the write up

boogersdelhidiaries said...

Well, you certainly made the place to sound inviting, if not enchanting, during the festival. And I've heard a lot about Karim's, maybe i'll try it out sometime.
And what about T ??

D said...

'nt-kht', well thx for quipping in..."khususiat"..Yes, this was the word I was looking for,and of imagery, Well all characters,incidents and places depicted are as true as the grandeur of Mughals or the style of Nawabs'

DDiaries(DD), surely if you like non-veg, you would appreciate food at Karim's, a must vist place and as of 'T'....Hunooz 'T' door Ast...an ever increasing distance...

illusion said...

Deewane...hmmm
yes..no...maybe!!!!