Wednesday, October 05, 2005

On Rent....

Well I can’t help myself not writing this narrative, especially when I am again searching for a room. If one has ever lived a bachelor life out of his/her city, he/she would easily relate that search for a room is a big quest. It’s more or less like a pilgrimage succeeded, if you find a room and that too a good one.

So my quest till now has stretched over for 5 long years and has been a quite interesting one, though to depict them all would leave to eventual boredom, quipping some of them would be rather worth it.

The first time I searched for a room I was 19 years old, in the city of Nawabs i.e. Lucknow and had just left the college hostel as life outside, without any prohibitions was to amorous to be not lived off. So after 2 days of hectic search coupled with the disgruntled snores of the collegiate, in whose room me and my luggage were put alike, me and N found a room, it was more of a flat with a big garden and 3 big rooms, which later turned out to be too big for us, so after one month w again started looking for a new one….

……This time I got the best room of my life, the landlords were old couple whose son lived in Pune (may be in a rented room!). The room was fully furnished, a full size mirror and a narrow verandah which later was turned into a cricket pitch and our “Dope Zone”, my ears could still hear our voices filled with laughter of madness and our red eyes telling that we all are on a different platform from rest of the world.

After college I moved to the capital of India, now since both Me and N were now doing job, so we decided that we should live in a better place though Z wanted to live somewhere else, so Green Park Extension became our new home, this flat which we later furnished with TV, Cd-player/music system, a cooler than A.C…….
This room also witnessed my three phone friends, my small success and N’s triumph into C.D.S. and yeah it was also the place where Z and Me decide to take career breaks, one came out with flying colours and another too unsuccessful to talk about that….

So since I was not earning, I moved to cheaper place and a studious environ of Zia Sarai, my first Bong landlords, and the only contact with outside world was through a window which is criss-crossed by high voltage lines!
Things again moved and I moved with them from Zia Sarai to Rajinder Nagar from there to Vijay Nagar and now back to Zia Sarai but one thing I learnt through all this endeavors is that a house is not built by bricks or mortar rather it is built by people who live in there.

And if again I go back to each of the room where I stayed, I would feel an untold warmth irrespective of what I am now and what I will be, there would be a lot of memories that would have been left behind, hiding in some corner, waiting for me and others to come and take them away, and these memories would be priceless for which I do not have to pay any rent to any one….



T confuses Me everyday, one moment she seems so close and suddenly there is a blanket of aloofness that scares me down my spine. What will happen after this week, when Me and T would separate to go our ways, will she remember me or would I just be another trainee gone, would I be still writing about her or will that be the end of this small fling, that was born to be unsuccessful……just like rented homes- How much you like them, you have to leave them.


One fine day, a dew fell on a grass
Which has edges very sharp,
The Grass said “Go away you old damn”
The Dew replied It was God’s wish now it’s your turn to strive with”,
The grass, also started liking the dew
But alas Sun stroked and wind blew…..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats fate :(

World is cruel.. no one can see others happiness!!

I'm really moved by the poem.

And yessssssss , no doubt this house-finding stuff is one of the most threatening things in life, may kill u at any instance.

Nishu

illusion said...

Hey I do relate to that room ordeal...this is time when u realise that things don't come easy!!!!
Well thanks for ur comments on my post.
And yeah this D makes me think of the movie and Deshu bhai..he he he

PS: Hope "T" realises your feelings and things turn out to be good for u. I really hope...Amen....