Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Battle'


This is a description of the situation in my room, which one may find relevant to contemporary International scenario….


This all started in the month of September, when I shifted to my new room. The previous guy living here was as an IAS aspirant, with geography as an optional, so once I moved in…. I had to tear all world maps and motivational posters, first one because world maps make me feel so small and give me ideas about being a nomad, the second one, I don’t need to explain…..so the only thing which remained was Lord Ganesh picture, which I dared not removed as I am superstitious (though a self proclaimed non-believer!) hence like Jews, I rearranged the new Israel


Now since I am a working bachelor, society does not expect me to live in hygienic conditions, so I followed the unsaid rule and very soon cig buds, half eaten biscuits, crumpled papers, unwashed socks and so on, adorned my room. I created a breeding ground myself just like Nehru did for Kashmir or US for China


As a result very soon, I find that my loneliness was invaded by mosquitoes, since I am an ardent newspaper reader, I knew that they are health hazards and one like me with a lean body frame and thus poor immune system, cannot bore the burden of being affected by Dengue, Malaria, Elephantis and jeopardize both my physical and monetary wealth.

From here started the war…….


The Sanctions
Immediately considering the gravity of the situation, I realized that my maid was unduly paid (as she comes early in morning, when I the nocturnal living being goes off to sleep and she is hence asked to come next day, which never comes). So for her now it was either “You are with Me or Them”….she diligently used the broom and gave the room a phenyl bath (that smell still in my nose!), books were dusted, clothes rearranged. However like the UN sanctions it turned out to be a dud affair and a Volcker report is soon expected….


The First wave
Now the situation was already getting out of hand, so arsenals were put into use, first ‘All Out’ was pressed into services (I never expected it to jump and eat mosquitoes though but least like Air force 1, it should have prepared the ground)….its futility became more prominent with each passing day, also I forgot to switch it off so it was getting costly…


Traditional Warfare
As suggested, I restored to our age old mosquito coils, now this worked out and soon they were kissing the grounds….I pronounced from my bed “ I Got Them” but unfortunately I was celebrating the victory too early…..they became accustomed ( just like humans, the spirit to survival can be seen best here, universal truth! ) and soon they were resilient, taking refuge in corners, behind clothes, books (just like Talibanis).



Chemical warfare
Now I bought a spray, I am using it now for the past two weeks, making every corner of my room a Fajullah…..ambushing them here & there and hoping if they survive and get out they get marred by the Coil effect’



Many civilians (ants) have died in this war, I can see their funeral procession every night…they still walk in line….some move astray…like lost kids. I hope mosquitos don’t follow Islam (no offence) and I do not face Jehad’…..and I also believe with onset of winters they become lull, like Kashmiri militants.



In turn, I have also been affected both monetarily and health wise, I am smoking twice, once my nicotine sticks and then the coil smoke’ ( but the coil pack says its of no affect to humans, hoping it doesn’t turn out like the American intelligence report on WMD’s ....as they call it “sexed up”………….

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Advice:Try mosquito repellent cream
Open all doors and windows to let the sunlight in and close all the moment the clock turns 5.

Delhi and mosquitos , aha i had almost forgotten!!

jedi said...

Did I laugh a lot or what! Didnt know mosquito killing cud be so much fun!!

illusion said...

thanks for such an enlightning post on international scenario vis-a-vis mosquitoes....he he he
well thanks for your zia us salaam compliment...but i guess that's a long way to go...

boogersdelhidiaries said...

Haha, history in the making. The Contemporary world seen through the life of a seemingly nondescript loafer. good one.

D said...

Thx Nut-Khat, but this option sucks, coz then you have to take bath everyday...and in winters, I think bathing should be a luxury!

Thx to you 2 Jedi, fr visiting in here...well the irony is, it was not killing mosqutios, it was a struggle for survival...for both!

Illuzn....I hope I was able to connect it well to international scenario and for U...just keep moving, who knows where you will land!

Thx DD...well ur enriching Bush articles were prologue to this unsuccessful attempt, so All Honours to YOU!