Thursday, May 03, 2007

Meer Taqi Meer


I don't know but I always feel a strange, complicated closeness with Meer. I wonder why? Of all the poets, I have read and to be honest I don't understand everything that they've penned but somehow understanding Meer came quite easily.

Last time, the hair analogy had raised a few doubts. I have nothing to say on that and instead I'll quote Meer. If Meer can feel the drowsiness of alcohol in someone eyes...why can't I preserve my Delhi's hair? After all Delhi knows that everything she gives becomes a treasure. Her love, her body, her soul, anything. I just touched the surface and I was charmed. I wonder what happened to those for whom she opened her heart......and yes it rained a day after I wrote the last blog.... but this time I couldn't see my sweetheart well, my eyes were clouded........

Hastee apnee Hubaab kee see hai
ye numa'ish suraab kee see hai


My life (existence) is temporary (fragile) just like a bubble,
This exhibition (of the colorful world) is an illusion like mirage.

Naazukee uss ke lab kee kya kahiye
paNkhaRee ik gulaab kee see hai


How can I express the softness of her lips,
They are just like rose petals.

Baar-baar us ke dar pe jaata hooN
Haalat ab iztiraab kee see hai


I rush to her door again and again (in hope of having a glimpse of her),
My anxiety has reached its peak.

Main jo bola kaha ke ye aawaaz
usee KHaanah-KHaraab kee see hai


When she heard my voice, she said,
"This voice is just like the voice of that wretched man (the poet)".

Meer! un neem-baaz aaNkhoN meN
saaree mastee sharaab kee see hai


O Meer! The drowsiness in those dreamy eyes,
Is just like that of wine

3 comments:

AVIANA said...

Wow beautiful poetry!!! Thanks for introducing me to someone new....Check out Pablo Neruda!! He's awesome and also a hopeless romantic.

Check out my latest post...PLEASE!!!! You'll enjoy it...I think :)

have a nice weekend!

Lisa

~P~ said...

Its strange how great poetry has revolved around love for centuries... Meer was good and Delhi sure desrves all the poetry for simply its existence...

Id it is said...

Of course you can hold a hair to heart... Donne did; he wrote a poem to it! No hard feeling there I hope.
Meer's lyrics, even in translation, are beautiful! thanks for sharing.