Monday, May 28, 2007

City, Sex and Friends.....

I was just looking at the number of posts I've written this month. After publishing this it will be the sixth. I wonder whether to celebrate or question myself. Because I feel I write more than what is required. But this happens when you've a lot to say and nobody in real world has patience to hear. Anyhow this post is going to be the last for this month. Perhaps I need to take a break and then as I was told - "You've nothing new to add."

Place: EDM Mall, on the outskirts of Delhi
Time: Sunday, somewhere around 9pm


A lot has been written on retail boom in India. It is so said that Walmart will soon be entering the fray. I will not write on that. EDM Mall, is located on the outskirts of Delhi. It has everything a Cineplex, Pizza Hut, Café Coffee day and showrooms of all major brands. The mall has an escalator and lift too. Not unusual, correct? But, when you see the people who throng this place, you are left amazed.
Ok, let me explain. Half of them live in dingy apartments nearby. They are first generation mall visitors who bring their parents and grandparents along (India has well-bonded families you see). Some of the oldies have pizza here for the first time. I don't if Italians use a fork and knife to eat pizzas but those who eat at such places struggle with the cutlery but still they use it. You'll see a burqa (veil) clad woman along with her three children, ordering three espressos. VOW!!! I never developed a taste for it and most often stick to cold coffee.

If you thought you need good fashion sense to choose a branded wear, change your thoughts now. The place has everything on sale. I guess if only have to have a flat you can buy the rest from here. Even the staffs are so recruited. They suit the flavour of those who throng it. So if you expect someone at Pizza Hut to explain you different pizzas they offer in detail forget it! All they know is how to explain you what is written in English in the menu.

I'm not deriding the fact that why this is so. I have no qualms. All I wonder is from where this money comes? So finally, when I was sitting alone at the stairs and having my pizza, using my hands, I heard one of those guys who brings the trolleys back from the car stand saying to his mate - "I guess he is here for the first time (Lagta hai pehli baar aaya hai)." And then I looked up at the sky and smiled. I had nothing new to add…….

Place: Ministry of Sound, New Delhi
Time: Friday, somewhere around midnight


Having journalist friends in Delhi is bliss. You get to see the best of places and drink the best of alcohol without worrying how much you've to pay. MoS attracts a much younger lot, perhaps since they don't play Bollywood numbers is the main reason. Don't know, I was too involved in my screwdrivers.
It seems everybody and anybody is living an amorous life except me. I don't regret it anymore. Or to be honest I prefer not to regret it anymore. Anyhow, I thought they were playing trance, till my well-informed friend corrected me and said that it was House. I've no idea about the different genre of music. Like all other things I prefer to be illiterate.
But you don't need to educate me when I see a couple grinding against each other, or someone palms exerting more pressure than required. Am not a sex maniac. But I feel the rest turn out to be so!
The drive back home was heady. I lighted my cigarette and thought about the girl in white pants, she was alone, dancing rhythmically and drunk. I had my chance. Why, I didn't try? As I threw the stub out of the window I saw the empty road. The city had slept. I too need one. I guess unsuccessfulness also means that you have nothing new to add……

Place: Office
Time: Unknown


This is about Mandy. Mandy is a journo and a good friend of mine. How Mandy and I met is not important. What is important that Mandy some weeks ago decided to write a blog. I was not surprised, in fact I urged her if she can write. But she writes for a daily paper and is extremely busy. Still she took on the new payless job. And to my surprise, her blog (Fashionably Yours) is a promising one. Mandy believes that I'm not unsuccessful but little she realises how near she is to the reason and we both have nothing new to add….

8 comments:

Id it is said...

Are you suggesting that blogging and malling have prerequisites: there are only a certain kind of people who can/should go to malls, and that bloggers have to have something 'new to add'.
Can't say I agree with either.

Anonymous said...

"I feel I write more than what is required. But this happens when you've a lot to say and nobody in real world has patience to hear."

no dont feel that way, someone will come by, i just did, and keep writing, if not for anyone, you will be doing it for yourself as a means to let yourself felt, and on second thoughts , whats booring to some maybe intresting to others..wait..now i am writimg more than is required..

starry said...

interesting read.how are you doing.

Sh'shank said...

yes why exactly didnt you try?

Cinephile said...

well i came here to leave my comment but d window says leave yr coment as if i amits servent, so no comments

Cinephile said...

i left a comment but its lost
try to find it out

D said...

III...am not suggesting anything. As I've written - I'm not deriding the fact that why this is so. I have no qualms. All I wonder is from where this money comes?

John..good to cu back.

Thx for visting 1nce gain Starry Nights..am nt bad.

Try what Pricky?.....what is left to try?

Lol...rovin...there are lot of things left to find and u knw am unsuccessful.

txandi prost said...

a blank page can wait eternal. patience is its being. words will come; it will listen.

~t~