Monday, July 02, 2007

Alphabets v/s Names


Belfast is one of those places, which I’ve only seen on television. I guess there must be a number of such places and I don’t know if I’ll ever see them beyond that 28 inch screen. Same is the story with our lives. I don’t know what constrain us but most of the times our life is constricted in a similar screen. How wide and the number of channels? Well, your guess is good as mine.

Anyhow, Z was back in town for two days. Once again, his idea to stay with me was cause our friendship and not because A’s (his girlfriend) sister was at home. I didn’t discuss this coz anyway he would have justified it. But, it took him little time to reach A’s home once her sister was off to work. And, he came back once his desires were satiated. This doesn’t mean we didn’t spend enough quality time. We did!

As India won the Belfast match and the series, our discussion traversed from cricket, commentators to life, money, society and position. It all started from his ‘visiting card’. I don’t know but we both believe that visiting cards tell you nothing about a person, except his name and designation. But in real life, these things do matter.
Z justified his idea of utopia and how he is above all this showbiz by stating the fact that he doesn’t discloses his salary. In his words :“People boast about their salaries. I don’t. I always say that I get enough to meet both ends. Even I can boast but people shouldn’t recognize or accept me because I earn good.”
Z, is not wrong in what he saying. But I feel even in what he said there was some hidden ego. At least, I felt so. I’m not trying to say that he shouldn’t do it. I guess each one of us does so. I can’t because I am unsuccessful. And I’ve my share of ego, which gets boosted —
1. When I show my boss sitting late in office that I’m trying to work hard, while am up to anything and everything on the net.
2. When I reject a good looking girl coz I feel she would not be able to downgrade to my standards.
3. When I zip ahead a slow, old, cranky vehicle
4. When I walk into a clothing store and don’t buy anything coz all waist sizes are x100 times bigger than mine, while I’ve the money.
5. When I order a drink and sip it for hours, faking as a connoisseur coz I can’t afford to buy another
So I think Z’s ego is much better and more deserving to be flaunted.

Z and me had a beer each at TGIF and then went to India Gate. I wish I can write about it but now that Delhi and I are emotionally estranged, I would better stop myself. I’m waiting for the monsoons……I want to be drenched and drained away…….

2 comments:

Sh'shank said...

D, the point about salary and house and the big imported car comes from the perception of success and otherwise.
Some people show off too much when they have less some show off because they really can but enigma lies in those who have but dont flaunt...
Now ego is a very slippery thing. It could be good to be a snob at certain places and arrogance is also considered a virtue but a situation and a time per se is relevant.
----------
your answer to the last post comment has been attempted...
Our convo continues, if you so please...

txandi prost said...

lovely analogy "...places seen on television...our life constricted in a similar screen..."

belfast has changed, gone the days of army checkpoints at every major intersection...you made me flash back.