Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Dead Letters



Dear Sister,

I don’t know if I’ll be alive when you’ll be reading this letter. This may bring tears to your eyes but the need of the hour is to stay strong. Things may have not gone my way but we all know that I was justified in doing what I did.

I feel no remorse whatsoever even in my last moments. These few minutes that I’m spending right now in writing this letter will always be the most cherished moments of my life. I’m ashamed of myself that I cannot be there with you forever.

Sister, I miss your company the most. I know if you had been with me, you could have at least calmed my falling nerves and be a source of strength. I would like to remind you that after me you’d be burdened with greater responsibility. So you should tread the path with utmost care.

If I would have an option to live, I would love to go back to the mountains and spend my time reading. After all this, I question myself why I am doing this? But when I close my eyes I see that beautiful picture, which I always dreamt, wished, longed and even strived for. Perhaps, this is an eternal war, which may go on for some more time, may be till I breathe.

Sometimes in my dreams, I see the future that as a family we all longed for. But some dreams never get fulfilled. They cloud our eyes and only go when the salt mixed water pours them out of our heart and brain.

As I’m closing this letter, tears run down my cheeks. I still remember playing as kids, where we all use to fight false battles. I know you always sided with us in those battles. Even today, after I’m gone, I know your heart and prayers will be with us and for us. But this is my request that whatever comes, you’ll not act emotionally and take care of yourself and all those who matters.

Yours Unsuccessful brother
D


P.S. – A letter by Dara Shikoh to his sister, Jahanara Begum. A few days after he wrote this letter Aurangzeb’s army captured him. It is said that he was beheaded and his severed head was taken to his father (Shah Jahan) and sister, who were imprisoned near Taj Mahal.

6 comments:

Sh'shank said...

perspective pondering...

AVIANA said...

what are your thoughts on this D?

Id it is said...

Another 'unsuccessfully yours'? That's some chilling violence as well (beheading etc)
The tone of the letter is rather strange given that it's written to his sister.

Minal said...

"Sometimes in my dreams, I see the future that as a family we all longed for. But some dreams never get fulfilled. They cloud our eyes and only go when the salt mixed water pours them out of our heart and brain."

so true!

D said...

Kind off..Pricky...

Lisa...my t8s.....don't know...

III...Dara and Jahanara were very close. She was his pillor of support....and she remain unmarried...there are a lot of stories abt Jahanara and her father...BY the way I watched Namesake....a movie which I saw after months around 5 i guess...not up to expectations...wat say?

Minal...thx....I hope it connects somewhere..somehow

Id it is said...

So I can finally post on the movie? I'd withheld the post for a while ...hehe
I'll post shortly on it.