Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Will you marry me?

So finally N got married. Now from the trio of DNZ, N is a married man. I’ve known Z and N for now 8-long years. I still remember the first night in the college hostel, when I slept next to N and he was narrating to me how he failed in the army exam thrice and how his dreams were smashed. We talked about our families, our singlehood, future plans and then slept with dreams in our eyes that after we’ll pass out from here, we’ll be doing what we are destined to.
That wasn’t the only time we had conversation on life, family, girls, sex, future, in these eight-long years we had similar discussions in various places and situations but somehow that first night is still very vivid in my memory. So when he was standing there, waiting for his bride to come, I was thinking about that night. Thinking that maybe he’ll have the same discussion with her wife after doing whatever required.
Sitting next to me was Z, who was also lost in dreams. He later told me that he was thinking that when he’ll get married and how it will be. I was amused at this thought, because I then realised that one of these days, I’ll too get married. Back in the hotel room, I told Z the possible reason why I can’t get married in the coming two-years at least. First and foremost no girlfriend!
Well, to be honest I was thinking about this when we were on our way to Lucknow to attend the marriage.
My only regret during the marriage was that I couldn’t dance. I was nursing a broken bone, so didn’t take chances. Read somewhere before that smoking leads to brittle bones, so didn’t risk dancing just sat in a corner and smoked.
Attending this marriage was very special. Not only because it was N’s marriage but more so because I was attending one after a very long time. So it did a lot to allay my fears on the marriage ceremonies and the kind of stress it involves.
Finally, when we’re leaving, I met his wife. She was nervous. N was happy, I could see the broad grin. He was looking good in his olive green army uniform. They’re leaving for Darjeeling on a honeymoon in two-days. As we bid them farewell, and the car took the turn, Z light up a cigarette and said
“Who’s next D?”
I grinned. “Don’t know. I’m still looking for one.”
“D, how much do you think we need to earn before we get married.....”
I know this discussion will go on and on....from job to our ex-girlfriends, Z’s problem with A, about his new Jaipur girl, my obsession with being unsuccessful...and perhaps when we three next meet, we’ll have some more dimension added to it.
And perhaps then, I’ll have something new to add....
P.S – Will post pictures as and when N sends them across...

6 comments:

Id it is said...

THAT was an interesting post! Well, weddings of close friends are always special events; unfortunately they often make you gloomy because of a perceived distance between you and your friend.
...looking forward to the pictures.

Pavitra said...

The wheels are turning :-)

John Sarkar said...

smooth

MS said...

make sure your bones are not broken at your own wedding!

lavender tulips【ツ】 said...

=) Cute post. Hope you find your special someone!

Anonymous said...

I know this guy since those 8 years....and was in the opposite room to the DNZ.....nice roomies......... D u have brought back the old memories friend...........and dont smoke.......ur bonies are too britle.....and for sure not like mine............remembering u ...