Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Grandma and D

She is sitting in front of me, recounting her old days, telling me how her husband gave money to everyone whenever required, how they brought their nephew to Delhi whose kids are now a doctor and an engineer. How now no one visits her because she is old, and how tomorrow I have to go with her to the nearest shop and get the repair done for the washing machine. Life with my grandma is exciting. Now that she and I get to meet over dinner, because its winters and I try to be home early, we’ve been talking. Ok...I have been listening. And now she is telling me that how she tries to lure the cat so that it can kill the rats which are a menace!


Sundays, she and I watch Hollywood movies...Mission Impossible III, United 73, The Mummy, Mummy Returns, Independence Day, Spiderman...we’ve watched them together. She is amazed at their stunts and though I’ve to translate the dialogues for her...it is worth attempting that.


What else? Life is moving at its snail pace. And am trying to find solace among work, work and some more work. Not that it has increased my productivity, or as if I care about it. But for sure, it has kept my mind engaged, which is desirable.

A friend of mine told me about Lord Byron, fancied myself as if reading his mind and this came out:

Thy touch and I smiled
pressed and moaned,
Rubbing against my lips
spark on roll,
Hilt yet not close
her smell and pose,
Spaced between my fingers
both entwine
raging debate, life serene or she divine?

7 comments:

Cinephile said...

well I can say you have begun to haul the reader to your lettering, constrained to move towards the closing if he dares to start……….keep it up……

Id it is said...

Life appears serene alright, and that's all that matters; no more 'raging debates' regardless of what it gets attributed to...perhaps her presence? I agree with you there; grandmas are very special individuals, you have to lose one to realize how special they are. Reading your post made me miss mine even more!

On a different note, Byron's poetry has finally managed to break out of its stereotype; not singularly relegated to love and romance alone!

Anonymous said...

:) so your giving your granny a good company? go ahead mate.. and why do you detest winters... i love them :)

Anonymous said...

season's greetings too.. that, if you believe in all that :)

Canary said...

a very nice read.. :)
And yeah.. Happy new year.. :)

D said...

Thx RR...somehow when there are mutual admirers the risk of overlooking each other's shortcomings increases manifolds :)

III...thanks. I think that in some ways I was mean enough not to be there as much I would have liked to be with my grandpa. Perhaps, we pay for our sins and get rewarded for our good work in this very same world!

Lash...I only like winters because they make me look fat, wearing all those layers of woollen. But somewhere I feel winters are gloomy...and yeah thx for wishing on the change of calendar, the new one really matches the colour of my wall.

Thx Canary...i hope we get to hear more music from you this year

Anonymous said...

Life serene...or she divine...just the question...